Monday, May 14, 2007

My town

My town is rather small when you compare it to Managua, but it still has a lot to offer. The town has a central park and Catholic church. There are pulparias (small stores similar to 7/11) everywhere you look. The people of the town all know where we live but I am not sure they all understand why we are here in their pueblo. There are dogs running free everywhere you look.

My family consists of my mother, my 3 brothers (ages 20,22, and 24) and many neighborhood kids that come around looking to play games. I am still considered a PCT (Peace Corp Trainee) and I will be an offical volunteer after I complete my 3 month training class. My day involves getting up around 6am to a rooster call. Next, I study and eat breakfast. My family owns a small business in town and therefore they get ready for their day around 7am. My Spanish class starts at 8am we break for lunch and continue with class again around 1pm. Finally, class finishes around 4pm! The day is still far from over because we meet with a local youth group to work on community projects. I eat dinner around 8pm and study well into the night, until I can no longer open my eyes! Then it is goodnight and I get to listen to the sounds of pigs, roosters, fireworks, loud music etc. that continue on throughout the night (and never stop). Nicaragua is a loud country but that is part of what makes it so great!! The people, the sounds and the smells are all Nicaraguan.

The food here is interesting as well. I eat beans and rice for breakfast along with a banana. For lunch it is fried chicken with rice and beans. For dinner I eat a meal of tortilla, rice, beans, and various veggies. It is good food and the people here like to make sure you eat it right away (even if it is still very hot).

I am really enjoying my time thus far. Next week we will teach our first class...but it will be pretty basic because our Spanish still needs work. I am looking forward to visiting the Laguna later this week and hopefully next week I will take a trip to the beautiful city of Granada. Pictures to come soon of the active volcano that is across the street from my pueblo...I still have to buy a flashdrive to transfer the pictures from my camera to the computer.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Brie,

WOW, sounds like your super busy, which is always a plus. :-) What a busy day! HA HA. That new alarm clock of yours seems to be quite different from the one you had here huh? A rooster. That would drive me insane I think. Beans for breakfast huh? YUMMY! Just kidding, you know me and how picky I am. Sounds like your having a nice time there though, I am glad to hear that. I bet the town is cute, sounds like it is. Glad there is a church for you there, I know you were wondering about that. How exciting about getting to teach a class too. Is the youth group anything like the ones we used to go to at church? Or not as much? Would love to see some pics, I know you have to wait till you can get the flashcard. Have to get going. Glad to get an update. We all miss you tons here.
Love,
Nicole, D and the gang!

Whitney said...

OH my gosh Brie it sounds like a total adjustment. I can't even imagine what it is really like! Sounds like you get a lot of beans and rice in your diet! Does everyone have pigs and roosters? Fire works? Why are there fireworks going off?
I can't wait to see pictures!
Don't eat too many beans!
Whitney