Friday, May 4, 2007

I have been given a host family

















It was a very early morning for me on Wednesday…I awoke at 2am to get ready to board a bus at 2:30am that would take us to the airport. We boarded to plane around 7am to be flown to Nicaragua. I arrived in Managua, Nicaragua around 11am and I am back in the Colorado time zone (because in Nicaragua they do not have day light savings time). Therefore, it gets dark earlier and lighter earlier. Today I have to get around five vaccinations! I have also begun my malaria medication and will remain on the medication until the end of my service (getting malaria would not be a very good experience).

The hotel we are staying at is very picturesque and therefore I have decided to post some pictures! I hope to be posting a lot more pictures in the future. I will be placed with my Nica family on Saturday and I am looking forward to finally unpacking all of my bags and settling into a more permanent location. I will also begin my Spanish lessons soon and feel very hopeful that I will not only be able to communicate with the local people soon but may be able to venture out without having to bring a translator along with me everywhere I go!!

I have been placed at an intermediate level for my Spanish language group (which really surprised me)! Tomorrow morning (Saturday) I will be leaving for a pueblo near Masaya to stay with my new family. Then we will have Spanish lessons for the rest of the day and hopefully I will be able to unpack my big bags.


1 comment:

Whitney said...

WHOA BRIE! I thought you had training in DC for 3 months where you learned English and then flew to Nicaragua after that. I totally missed that one! Anyway, what is Nicaragua like? Is it what you expected? I am happy to hear you made it to Nicaragua ok!