Sunday, June 24, 2007

Xena Warrior Princess

This is the house that I live in...

My backyard (right) and Me with my Nicaraguan mother(left)…she looks very serious in this picture but it is a custom to look very proper in photographs and not many people smile. However, in person she is very upbeat and happy.


A popular TV show here in Nicaragua is Xena Warrior Princess and Seaquest (along with other American science fiction shows that have been translated into Spanish). It humors me to turn on the TV to see these old shows, bad graphics and all, and the reaction these shows get from Nicaraguans. The letter “X” in is pronounced as “ch” therefore the show’s name is pronounced as Chena Warrior Princess! The program is actually conducive to my learning Spanish because unfortunately (and I cannot believe I am admitting this) I have seen most of these cheesy episodes in English. Not to mention the acting is so dramatic that it is really easy to pick up on the overall theme (monster attacks hero and hero kills monster). Nevertheless, these episodes remind me of the early 90’s. This brings me to the music. When walking through the market place I hear a mix of Michael Jackson (Thriller/80’s era) mixed with Gladys Knight’s “Midnight Train to Georgia.” These songs are ever prevalent and just make me laugh whenever I hear them played. Of course, there is plenty of Spanish music being played as well but it’s the old American music that really throws me off guard. Quick antidote: Several of us were at the house of another PCT (Peace Corps Trainee) and we were working on a Spanish project. The host father of the trainee thought we would all like to listen to some music and brought in a radio. Instead of tuning it to a Spanish station he told us he knew just the right station for us to enjoy. On came the Elton John station. Not that I have anything against Elton John but the host father assumed that it was our favorite music (Elton John is also very popular on Nicaraguan radio stations). So that afternoon I jammed out to Elton John’s most popular hits!

1 comment:

Whitney said...

WOW Brie..you are having quite the experience. I think I say that every time, but man after I read your blog I just can not imagine what it is really like. I think I would use 2 buckets of water just for my hair. In the picture of the bathroom/laundry room, I did not see a toilet...is there one? Sorry random question. Was that a refrigerator in the middle of the family room? That is interesting about being serious in pictures...do they ever take pictures of making wacky faces like we do here? Keep us uppdated..I love reading your blog!

Miss you!
WHitney