Tuesday, June 12, 2007

I’ve come down with Gripe

La cruza on the top of the Volcan Masaya (it helps keep the devil away because it was believed that the volcano was a portal to hell)Volcan Masaya is an active Volcano and one of the smaller volcanos in Nicaragua
We could only stay near the top of the volcano for 20 minutes because there were toxic gases coming out of the volcano

A few days ago I came down with a small cold…but here in Nicaragua no cold is small! My family told me I had gripe (aka the flu) and then they proceeded to give me their home remedies to cure me of my gripe. First rule of thumb, I was not given any cold water…only boiling water. I wondered why I couldn’t have cold water and I was simply told that because the climate here is so different it is important that I only have hot water to cure me of my gripe. Next, I was given a lemonade drink (limon) that was also hot but very tasty as well. To conclude I had to wear warm closes such as a sweater. Keep in mind that in Nicaragua it is around 80 to 90 degrees and very humid. Therefore, I was boiling! However, three days later I do feel much better and feel that the home remedies did help a bit.

Our group of trainees taught another lesson in the local school and we are also meeting with a local youth group. The youth group is going to give a lecture in the school concerning the effects/consequences of using drugs. Hopefully, the knowledge they impart on their classmates will resonate and help to curb the use of drugs in the small pueblo. As I was typing this blog entry, the lights (luz) went out and I am left in the dark with my computer (my battery still has 3 hours of life left!!). That brings up another fun topic…electricity and the lack there of in Nicaragua. For the most part, we do have electricity most of the time; however, it does go out during the nighttime around 7pm at least once a week. This isn’t major problem as long as I’m at my house, but if I happen to be walking around on the street it causes a major dilemma. When the street lights go off it is pitch black and you cannot see a thing. You just hope that a car (preferably with headlights…because people often drive without any headlights at all) will pass by to guide you closer to home. At this moment I am safe inside my house, my family is also at home but unfortunately due to the electrical outage they are missing out on their favorite tele novela (soap opera). I have decided to cut this blog entry a little short because it is pitch black and the only light around is coming from my computer screen…bugs seem to be flocking in droves and are quite literally swarming around my head!! Buenas Noches

1 comment:

Whitney said...

Brie,

I am glad you are feeling better! I wonder if they call it gripe because people gripe when they have the cold...well actually that would be an English word...so I doubt it..its just kind of funny they call it that! Man is sounds like you are having quiet the experience. This entry has really shown me that I take electricity for granted when it is a blessing I often don't think about or thank God for!
Brie...you need to figure out how to say in Spanish, "I have a gun and I am not afraid to us it." That way if you get stuck in the streets at night when the electricity goes out you can shout that out the whole time! Ha kidding...but Brie please be safe..you are probably sick of hearing that but that is scary!

I am glad things seem to be going well, good luck with your lessons,
miss you lots,
Whitney