Saturday, March 1, 2008

What to pack for the journey, a few suggestions for future Peace Corps volunteers:

I remember packing for Peace Corps and being freaked out that I was packing too much, I wondered if other volunteers would be bringing as much stuff as me? Would I even be able to carry everything? Luckily, my fears were quelled the moment I arrived in D.C. and saw other volunteers struggling with all of their bags…I fit right in (In the end I brought 3 bags total: 1 hiking backpack that can hold up to 50lbs, 1 backpack and a duffle bag on wheels!). Also, I would suggest future volunteers to email current volunteers with any of their questions or concerns (I know I love getting email!) Ok, on to the list of stuff I brought:
1. Laptop (filled full with my favorite movies, tv shows, music, yoga-video podcasts and Spanish podcasts). What I use it for now: I enjoy typing emails ahead of time on my laptop and completing my work reports on my laptop (due every 4 months) in the comfort of my house (instead of at the internet café). My suggestion, if you own a laptop you might as well bring it! Finally, make sure you have a good anti-virus program on your computer, because you will be transferring viruses onto your computer if you use your flash drive at the internet café and then later plug it into your personal computer.
2. Laptop cooling fan pad and laptop sleeve/cover (Many volunteers don’t have a cooling fan, but I have found that in the heat it just helps. The sleeve/cover is great to keep the dust off of your computer during the hot season).
3. Surge protector /power strip (also, there is no need to bring any kind of power converter because the electricity wattage in Nicaragua is equal to the wattage used in the U.S.)
4. Flash drive (2g or larger)
5. I-pod/mp3 player
6. Mini Speakers to connect to laptop and/or ipod
7. 1 book vs. numerous books (the Peace Corps has a library filled of fiction/non-fiction books from current and past volunteers. Also, the Peace Corps provides volunteers with a great Spanish dictionary, verb conjugation book and grammar book. Plus, during training (the first 3 months) you won’t have a lot of time to read! Remember, your favorite books can always be mailed to you, and generally speaking packages make it through in 2 weeks.
8. Regular backpack (for weekend trips)
9. Old cell phone that is unlocked (new cell phones can be purchased in country for as cheap as $15, but if you have an unlocked old cell phone that you like… it can save you some money because you can just purchase a new “chip” for the phone that will run about $5). The cell phone system in Nicaragua is pay as you go (in other words, you purchase your minutes ahead of time).
10. Minimum clothing and shampoo/conditioner/soap/bath products (as used American clothing can be purchased in country as well as American brand shampoo/soap etc. or these things can be shipped through at a later time). However, you might not have time during training to go out and purchase these items…if you have a higher Spanish level, you will have extra time on your hands…otherwise bring what you think you’ll need for 3 months!
11. Headlamp (used for night reading and cooking dinner or even bathing when there is no electricity…replacement batteries can be purchased in country).
12. Shoes! I brought along 1 pair of running shoes, 1 pair of flip flops, 2 pairs of closed toe flats (which were easy to pack, 1 pair in beige and the other pair in black). Flip flops can be purchased in country for 30 cords ($1.50ish) but I have had a hard time “quality” shoes…so I would recommend bringing what you think you’ll wear for 2 years (I have purchased used American clothing to replace clothing that has worn out, but I have not purchased any new shoes…nor will I…because the quality is just not there…aka cheap material=blisters)
13. 1 towel and 1 wash cloth (towels can also be purchased in country but they are super thin towels…so if you want something “fluffy” bring it from the USA).
14. My definition of business casual= I wear either a dress or a nice pair of jeans (aka no holes) with a (thin cotton) short sleeved shirt
15. Sunglasses and a hat…it’s hot and sunny…when traveling via bus I always like to keep my face covered from the rays!
16. Meds: Peace Corps gives you a “med kit” filled with aspirin, Band-Aids, suntan lotion, bug spray, etc. etc. (so there is no need to pack that kind of stuff)
17. Sheets and pillows will be provided to you during training (by your host family) and after training you can purchase these things in country (I found used American sheets for C$150 cords total or Nica sheets (aka 150 thread count) sell for C$ 250 cords). Pillows go for around C$100 cords.
18. Cooking stuff such as a non-stick pan, measuring cups, garlic crusher etc. etc. can also be found in country…just be prepared to pay American prices for these items!

2 comments:

Sarah Amador said...

Hey Brie! I am thrilled to find this on your site :) I am in staging class 47, TEFL...I leave May 5th. How many pairs of pants/dresses/etc did you bring? What have been some of the hardest things to adjust to? If there was anything you could have done or brought before you left, what would it be?

I am getting so excited to come, and I look forward to hearing wisdom from the field :)

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.