Monday, September 10, 2007

If this blog entry could have theme music it would be the title track from the popular 80’s flick Ghostbusters “I ain’t afraid of no Ghosts”

Quick update, there is another bat in my house. I have named him Count Chocula (now I have 2 pets: 1 mouse and 1 bat). I am soliciting name suggestions for the mouse (I was thinking of naming him Stewart Little, except my mouse does not know how to drive a car but I am pretty sure he can throw one heck of a fiesta). Count Chocula hasn’t been killed yet, but I think this week may be his last. My host family said they were going to “take care of the problem” this weekend, which makes me believe they have mob connections. It’s kind of like an episode of “The Sopranos,” except they “off” bats instead of gangsters.

This picture was taken in the back of a micro bus. Local transportation is a blast! One can travel anywhere in the country via bus!!! (Left to Right fellow volunteers: Deenah, Van and Me)

5 Simple steps to hitching a ride in Nicaragua, because the bus that was scheduled to pick-up people failed to show-up:

  1. Find a truck with a large flatbed, full gas tank and a driver, because it transports more people at a faster rate with limited pushing involved.
  2. Never travel alone and only hitch a ride in the rural towns (el campo) with Nicaraguan friends. NEVER hitch a ride in a big city such as Managua (that just spells trouble and robbery).
  3. Apparently the sign for hitching a ride is universal…stick out a thumb. Also, the word for hitching a ride is simply “ride”…yo necesito un ride (I need a ride).
  4. Wait for the truck to slow (it probably won’t stop completely) start a swift jog along the side of the car and hop in with about 20 to 30 other individuals (if the front seat of the truck is unoccupied, occupy that seat immediately for a slightly more comfortable ride). However, if thigh, calf and quad muscles are feeling a bit flabby and a workout is needed then I recommend standing in the back of the flatbed. This will allow for an optimum workout…equivalent to doing a wall-sit for approximately 1 hour, 300 double lunges with calf lifts or jump roping for approximately 30 minutes straight.
  5. To signal to the driver that people have reached their final destination and need to disembark, simply bang the top of the vehicle several times very loudly. Ideally, the driver will slow vehicle for a safe dismount.

**Safety Tip: If a person happens to stumble, fall or trip while disembarking from the truck, immediately tuck in head and all appendages…if carrying chickens, food or bags, drop them immediately and go into a roll…I haven’t tried this method…nor have I witnessed it implemented…but I feel it might come in handy to prevent permanent bodily damage. I call it the “tuck and roll” or the “Darn it, I’m falling off the back of a flatbed truck…again” move.

“A crab on the beach”
Several of us watched a Nicaraguan arrange this crab with a french-fry and beer in hand. He placed him on a log at the beach and then just stood back to look at his creation. I still am unsure why he did it, but about 2 hours later (the crab still remained) and we decided to take a picture.

Have you ever been squished into a large yellow school bus that is over occupied 10 folds, (suggested capacity 65 people; actual capacity 150-200 people)? Usually on public transportation in the U.S. there is a yellow or white line on the floor in the front of the bus that reads “do not cross this line.” It is a safety precaution, and God help the person that crosses the line, because the bus driver will harangue that unfortunate individual for the remainder of their bus ride; thus, evoking feelings of shame and ignorance. Yes, I have tried crossing this “golden” line in the U.S. and I was lectured and given the “evil eye” by the bus driver and fellow passengers. Therefore, I speak from experience and past shame. In Nicaragua, that rule does not apply nor does it exist. Although, the line and the phrase “do not cross this line” still remain painted on the bus floor…oh sweet irony. People cross the line and hang on for dear life outside the door. Meanwhile, I am stuck in between animals, babies, children, and adults somewhere in the middle of the bus…listening to Billy Joel’s “Piano Man”…unable to wipe the sweat from my face (having it slowly drip into my eyes and burn) all because I cannot move my arms or legs (and this is not an exaggeration…it is an everyday experience). And I am so thankful to finally reach my stop that I feel like kissing the dirt!

A day at the beach. Sometimes it is nice to cool off at el mar ...the ocean. (Deenah and Me)

I have been in oscura (pitch black) for the past 12 days (no lights, candles…nada). Why? Well, the problem isn’t lack of electricity, because my neighbors have the luz, television and music all running (at the same time…simply mocking me). The problem is faulty wiring. Hopefully, it will be fixed within the next week. Meanwhile, I cook in the dark, exercise in the dark, and hangout in the dark by myself (so sad). Last night, I was fumbling around helplessly reaching for random objects and made the mistake of putting Worcestershire sauce (instead of soy sauce) into my Asian Fusion dish…whoops…I still ate it though because I had no other choice!

This is a picture of me with ½ of the class (the other ½ was at a marching band competition). There are normally 50 kids in this class. My counterpart is wearing pink and her name is Amanda.

I played a rousing game of musical chairs with my students this past Friday (and volleyball during recess). I didn’t win but I did “bust a move,” which had the kids laughing!

Now back to the title of this blog…Ghostbusters. First, I would like to conjure up some memories: I recall reading R.L. Stine’s Goosebumps series (just last year in fact…joking… when I was in elementary school). The books detailed a ghost story or monster story always with an unfortunate ending for the protagonist (sorry to divulge the ending for those who have yet to read this intriguing and suspenseful series). While Goosebumps only details the bloodcurdling side of ghosts, Ghostbusters shows an assortment of Ghost personalities. For example, humans possessed by ghosts, dogs possessed by ghosts, and ghosts made out of slime. For those who have not seen these movies, I suggest reserving copies via Netflix and having a movie marathon to watch a priceless piece of Americana unfold. The Ghostbuster’s sidekick, Slime, is a helpful ghost who assists the team by answering the telephone and as his name suggests sliming unwitting evildoers. Ghosts can also be helpful for everyday household tasks, just look at Casper the friendly Ghost who can cook, clean, and levitate off of the floor. In Nicaragua there are also ghosts, but these ghost’s do not possess the same qualities as the ghosts described above. Most often the ghosts are associated with Dios (god) and el Diablo (the devil). In fact, I listened to about 3 hours worth of ghost encounters yesterday night. I will quickly recap the stories, leaving out many important details essential to character and plot development, nevertheless while encapsulating the gist of the theme:

Story 1: Man encounters ghost at 4am in the backyard. Ghost has large eyes of fire and is most likely the devil. Man is supposed to be picking up food from his neighbor, however due to the ghost encounter runs back into the house frightened. Later, the neighbor inquires about the food and man explains strange encounter. All is forgiven.

Story 2: Ghost whispers a name into a man’s ear 3 times in a row. Man opens his eyes and sees nothing.

Story 3: Apparition appears in front of a man and then disappears.

Story 4: Ghost touches the leg of a sleeping man; man opens his eyes and sees nothing.

Story 5: A dog has taken the form of the devil and follows the man around the block before disappearing.

Story 6: Ghost gives power to a man to heal his sick child instantly.

Story 7: Ghost rides around on a horse. The only catch is the ghost has no head (sound familiar…Sleepy Hallow)!

Story 8: Man who has one very large foot and one very small foot has incredible difficulty walking upright. Ghost heals the man’s unusually large left foot. The man walks without a wobble!

When it rains it pours! This picture was taken 1 week before the Hurricane hit Nicaragua. Typically it rains everyday (it is the rainy season) and it is a strong, chilly rain.

This is me at a Nicaraguan open market. This is where I buy my vegetables and meat.


Nicaraguans tend to be very animated people using a lot of hand or facial gestures to communicate various things: cardinal directions, confusion, heights of humans, and heights of animals. For example, in the U.S. when giving directions a person might point their finger towards the direction they are referring. In Nicaragua, a person giving directions “pushes out” their lips in a kissing motion towards the direction they are indicating. Another facial gesture is used when a Nicaraguan needs to demonstrate confusion. They will scrunch their nose. In the U.S. we might shrug our shoulders. The biggest cultural gesture difference that I am still having trouble adjusting to is: the “come over here I need to talk to you” hand gesture. Let me explain, in the U.S. if someone sees one of their friends across the street they might wave and gesture for the friend to come over. In which case the common gesture is to motion a hand in the direction that the other person must come…the hand motion is towards the body (Refer to Exhibit A). In Nicaragua it’s the opposite or what I call the “shoo away” motion (Refer to Exhibit B). That is correct, the people here “shoo” others away when they in fact want the person to come closer. Clearly I call this the “shoo away” motion because in the U.S. when a person does not want someone to come closer they simply shoo them away with their hand. This slight difference of hand motions makes me look like a total idiot, because my first reaction is to walk further away. Therefore, I start backing away from the person that is “shooing” me. However, about 5 seconds later I remember that I’m in Nicaragua, and of course that gesture means to come closer. Therefore, I double back to meet the person. Yet, my U.S. influence makes me think twice about this reaction (because it just feels strange to walk toward someone “shooing”). Yet again the “shooing” motion makes me back off a second time before I FINALLY realize that the person is calling me closer. The result is a very strange back and forth; back and forth dance motion…that makes me appear like I’m going into convulsions. But it’s ok because I’m a gringa!

No comments: