Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Let the adventure begin!!

Welcome to my blog. I have decided to create a spot for all of my friends and family to visit, instead of sending out mass emails. This way I can also post pictures without clogging up email inboxes. This is my first blog and I am planning on updating it weekly (depending on Internet access).

After close to a year of waiting to be placed due to changing locations and various other delays I have finally been assigned to Nicaragua for my 2 years of service. I will be leaving April 29 for Washington D.C. and on May 2 will be leaving for Nicaragua.

My main concern thus far is my Spanish comprehension level, because I have not spoken the language since high school. Of course, I have been told by many people that the language will come rushing back to me when I am immersed in the culture (however I have my doubts). Lately, I have been trying to brush up on my skills by listening to a Spanish podcast, which is actually taught by two Scottish individuals. Once I was able to understand their Scottish accent I finally began to understand the basic Spanish they were teaching me! Hopefully, I know enough now to get me by…but that will be put to the test when I arrive in Nicaragua. For now adios!

2 comments:

Whitney said...

HOpe everything is going well! Let us know how training goes once you start!

KevinCromley said...

Hey, I'm coning down in April. I am an RPCV... wondering how is the carretera from San Isidro to Leon... also any decent hotels in Leon??